Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Takeoff

At first our words were small
I wasn’t sure they had the room
to hold the meaning that began to rise
behind my mouth and eyes -
the warming impulse of a truth
that I might share

At first my words were closed
but then they opened out
The invitation of a question
led to my expression
and the light came flowing in
filling out the thoughts

Then she picked up an ember
spoke with growing warmth
her face lit up
her smile grew real, and soon
we both were smiling broadly
and someone else was drawn into the glow

And where before our nods and looks
had been polite but short
not clipped but still not free
we now took off - three of us - soaring
a rushing sense of substance
potential, infinity
rising under our wings
bearing us up.


©Wendy Mulhern
June 1, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment