Monday, March 21, 2011

Weather Report II

No, this isn’t about the first day of spring, except in the way it was colder and wetter than hoped for, and felt bleaker since I was expecting warmer.  It’s rather about the way a cold front, when it comes in, needs to move through before it clears.  The argument I wrote about yesterday was not, despite what the poem seemed to indicate, solved at once.  Today I felt bleak and bleary, and grouchy.  But I took a bike ride in the late afternoon, for fresh air and to find a poem.  I liked the poem I found - the rhythm appropriately pugnacious.  And the ride and the poem revived me.  

A riddle: why not settle into grouchiness
growl, baleful, at the fickle sky and shake your fist
succumb to world’s weight drag down into slouchiness
call it one of those days that - face it - won’t be missed?
Indeed, it seems the path of least resistance
Why summon up the needed grim persistence?
When has the sun come out through sheer insistence?
To find success would seem to need a sixth sense
But maybe if you wait a bit you’ll find one
Surprising uplift can come up behind one
and tickle evil feelings till they’re undone
and dissipate like fog banks in the bright sun
The answer: sure, be grouchy if you must
The light will still come reignite your trust.



©Wendy Mulhern
March 21, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment