Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Held in Love

Today I wanted to write a poem about a wonderful feeling that comes to me sometimes, in early morning prayer or just in sudden moments, a feeling of being suspended in Love.  It’s about feeling completely cared for - not weightless but with every part of me supported and nothing strained.  And with ‘every part of me’ including everything I love, all those I care about.  Maybe the poem does better than these words.

Held in Love

Everything I am, and all I’ve tended -
my loves, my children, all their early flights
my own delayed attempts to shine my light
are held forever safe in Love suspended.
I never felt this free; though I pretended
my intellect could take me to a height
where I could chart a course and judge it right,
my dreams still squirmed unsure, over-extended.
But now I feel Love’s grasp on us so sure
each one established in our perfect sphere
all our connections elegant and pure
we never need be anywhere but here.
All that Love ordains for us endures
Love carries us, Love’s way is always clear.



©Wendy Mulhern
March 29, 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment