Monday, March 28, 2011

A bit of frivolity

It was an active day today, and at the end of it, I chose to watch a show with my family instead of writing a poem.  In the interests of togetherness, frivolity is sometimes appropriate.  So in the frivolous mode I set by my actions this evening, I will share my most recent verse about pulling ivy:

The Yard Waste Truck Comes Early Tomorrow Morning

I raked the ground so I could see
where roots and shoots protruded
so all the ivy finally
could truly be uprooted
It isn’t done, the roots remain
their network branches deep
They’ve had some years to make their claim
within the yard waste heap
Year upon year of heaped neglect
I strive to overcome
No more than what one would expect
in maintenance of a home
A basic fact I somehow never grasped
Till tangled up in all I had let lapse.



©Wendy Mulhern
March 27, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment