Thursday, March 3, 2011

Innocence

Writing in my journal today, I paused, and wrote, “incite insight” - just a sentence that came to mind.  It reminded me of a set of poems I wrote in college, around the time of my first love.
I keep the poems on an index card in a once-white plastic file box which contains my recipes.  After desserts there’s a tab that says “linguists’ assertions”, and contains quotes about various kinds of presuppositions.  The tab after that is blank, and behind it are poems, and pep talks to myself.  The first poem of the set is missing, but no matter - I know it by heart.

Innocence
I
Innocence
In a sense
Unwarned, in love encaptured
Unaware how not to care
In loving arms enwrapped
Enraptured.

II.
Innocence
In essence
A warming concord captured
Well aware how much we care
As Love holds us enwrapped
Enraptured.

III.
Innocence
In us, sense
To see our source of rapture
The wonder of untrammeled love
That trust makes us so apt
To capture.



©Wendy Mulhern
-Spring, 1980 (I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment