Sunday, January 1, 2012

Romance


I took a cautious step
beyond the edge
I didn’t fall
I took another, checked my feet
They still stood strong
I jumped, I leaped
and next I’ll fly
For nothing is forbidden anymore

I made a world
I made it in my mind
I gave the sky a magic, stained glass blue
I used high clouds to mark its great expanse
I made a window into it for you
If you will join me
we can let our feet
be coated in the sun-warmed sand
and climb the driftwood, where it leans
above the rising tides
and revel in life’s interlocking, overlapping swirls
the waves, the wood, the sky
the shifting windows into worlds . . . 
I won’t believe a voice that says
my life course is constrained
To me belongs my mind
and all the pathways it contains.


©Wendy Mulhern
January 1, 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment