Saturday, January 29, 2011

Dreamscapes

I offer today an old poem - from May, 1987.  I still find it amazing that, when I start to think about dreams I’ve had, memory upon memory of dream sites come to me.  In my dreams they are familiar places, yet I don’t know how many times I’ve visited them.  Only once, but with embedded memories of many times? Or repeatedly, given how familiar they feel?  I’m quite sure at least some of them don’t exist anywhere but in my dreams. They parade before me, one after another, dreamscapes perhaps based on real-life places, but changed enough that I can’t match them up.  That half unreal feeling of dream memories was what I was trying to capture in this poem:

Back Into Dream

Seeing my bare foot stepping ahead on the dock
In afternoon sun
I remember dreaming of wind chimes

The colors of the dream are lit
With different light from those of day
The dark behind the gold
The light within, not from afar.

I find in dreams
A different balance
Lying on my side while walking
Curling smoke-like under doors.
I take grand jumps
Sometimes truly fly.
New power down the insides of my arms,
New currents through my fingers

Long after I wake
The shadow tugs
Drags the corners of my vision out of square
Puts wrinkles in my day

I travel back
In sliding leaps
Inward and sidelong
Through time
Rolling under like surf
Along the large cliffs by the sea
Down the distant inlet once again
Soaring home to the memory 
Of the dream.

©Wendy Mulhern



No comments:

Post a Comment