Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Katama Beach, early morning

The wind and clouds
as I approach
toss mystery on the day
gray, stormy, salty
soft with summer’s warm humidity
The smell of ocean first
and then the sound
compel excitement as I pedal closer
To see it throws me open to its full embrace
and I know: this is why I came.

Waves entranced in fervent dance
beneath the racing shifting clouds
roll and clap, swoosh, recede
salt spray flying out from each wave’s crashing

My feet sink into coarse deep sand
that slopes down to the sea
the foam leaps forth and licks my toes
and sometimes splashes me.

The eastern sky grows pearly, luminescent
The wet slick sand takes on a muted glow
Then bits of blue, in mirrored sand reflected
throughout the vista soon begin to show

till all the sky is clear, and all the water royal
and white is bright in clouds and foam
and liquid sun pours out across the water
as I begin my journey home.


©Wendy Mulhern
August 23, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment