Wednesday, May 11, 2011

On love: conversation with an angel

You have to give up everything
There’s no small sliver you can
smuggle in, no negotiation
of the gift
Even one small grain of will
makes you too heavy to float
One condition, one demand
one holding out for some element
of your pride, or who you
think you are
will keep you down

How is that fair?
Shouldn’t love be a balance?
A matching effort, wing for wing?
If I’m giving everything
shouldn’t he give just a little?
I could tie myself in chains of giving
He could heap on more and more demands
I could devolve into a shadow living
with all decisions in his hands . . .

Fear not, my dear
The everything you give, you give to love
The gift you give is what you gain
Your love, not his acceptance, is your prize
In love, you fly
You leave yourself behind to grasp anew
all that you always were, but never knew.



©Wendy Mulhern
May 10, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment