Tuesday, April 12, 2011

City Musings

I started to compose a poem in my mind as I walked down the city streets to the basement office where I volunteer every other week.  The idea seemed good, and I had the first two lines and the framework for several more.  I thought they would come quickly back when I could sit down and write them.  But at the office other things came up, and I didn’t get to think about the poem till I got home.  And then it was something like waking up from a dream that had seemed very profound but that I couldn’t make sense of at all.  I remembered a few words but not how they came together.  After I thought I would give up, it came together, though I think it’s quite different from what was in my mind earlier:

Bully without a pulpit

I walked, entreating the collective mind
Look: who you are is not defined
by what you buy, or tastes refined
through careful choice of things designed
to show your status and proclaim
alignment with some product’s name

I stepped into the crosswalk, feeling wise
to turn from all the billboards for the prize
of seeing how much better we are known
for what we’ve striven for, what we have honed
through stretching into what the day demands
through what we make with our own hands

I liked my words - I thought they would compel
except I didn’t know who I could tell.



©Wendy Mulhern
April 11, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment