Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine’s Day

On Monday I saw my mom off at the airport and took the train back into town.  I had two hours before my usual commitment, so I sat in a coffee shop at Westlake Center, and later up in the empty food court.  I had brought my usual early morning activities - prayer and devotional reading.  The overlapping of unaccustomed views with my work brought new colors and insights.  
Today I felt weary of iambic pentameter, so I allowed the images and thoughts to take their own form:

Valentine’s Day 2011

Rain speckled windows
Rain heckled walkers
Valentined workers
Magic smile’s warmth

Hot foamy latte
Baristas laughing
Businessmen talking
Measuring worth

Flash glimpse of something
Glancing up pensive
Fusions of insight
Inklings of truth

Something to hold on
Take when I go on
Pondering, breathing
Walking through rain

Later reflection
Precious connection
Light glimmers lifting me
Homeward again.



©Wendy Mulhern
February 16, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment