Sunday, February 13, 2011

Songs and Longing

Vineyard Haven Kite Song turned out to have three chapters.  I know it’s odd to refer to songs in terms of chapters, but I felt impelled to call them so at the time.  Each one came to me with melody and words together, and each one illustrated something of my passage through that difficult, though at times beautiful, summer.  

When composing it (if that can be the word for letting it come into my mind) I didn’t really notice the longing in it.  That was something my brother later pointed out.

Vineyard Haven Kite Song, Chapter Two

Afternoon off and I’m drifting on down
Wandering with the wind into the town
Stepping along, looking around
A little bit lost and a little bit free
Knowing there’s something here waiting to find me

I’m seeking, seeking something worth keeping
Not even speaking but silently hoping
Hoping, hoping too hard for coping
Choking on chances but with my eyes open
Open to see something strong and flamboyant
Something that’s vibrant, gentle and sweet.

Leaving, sighing - nothing worth buying
Still keep on wandering, trying to find it -
Something or someone to kindle my soul
That I might fly again
That we may know
That we together have somewhere to go, too
Someone and me
To set ourselves free
That we might reach the sky over the sea.



©Wendy Mulhern
August, 1978

No comments:

Post a Comment