Monday, August 1, 2016

Boldly















On that morning
after the first thunderstorm
when the wind was still warm and moist and gusty
and the waves blew in boisterous cross directions,
light gray-green, hazy and salty

I had no fear
of the caution-warning voices,
no fear of surf crash or riptide
or the blanket enjoinment
against swimming alone

I knew when I got down the beach a ways,
I would go in boldly,
running down to the place
where the round stones tumbled
and I could dive through the turbulence
into the calm
so I could bob in the delightful coolness,
up and down with the waves

I felt so surely my belonging
in the elemental lustiness,
in the dance of water,
in the spray of salt,
that I didn’t know what could possibly
convince me to come out

Till suddenly it was time
to ride a wave
and find my foothold in the flowing sand
and step out while strong water
grabbed at my legs,
dig my toes in,
climb out into the morning wind.

©Wendy Mulhern

August 1, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment