Thursday, November 29, 2012

Freshman


It is not fathomable 
to imagine you gone
though we see you little enough
in the small crossings of orbits
when we are all awake
and all here
and not sequestered
in our respective caves

When I think of you
out on your own
I wonder about your laundry
and your innocence
I want to wrap you in a cloak
that’s been too small for several years
Protect you
from a world I’m sure you think 
you know much more about than I do

I want you to soar free and far
I want your mask of self-assurance
to be filled out, from within
with trial-tested confidence
I don’t want the world to prove you wrong
I want the world to prove you strong

It’s not fathomable
to imagine you gone
So I will think of you
Somewhere, next year
Exploring some as yet uncharted here.

©Wendy Mulhern
November 29, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment