Sunday, October 2, 2011

Grace for Today

“Give us this day our daily bread;
Give us grace for today, feed the famished affections;”*

Today this verse
that I have heard
these many years
rang with potent meaning
in my ears
For now I notice
it affirms that I am hungry
that this deep gnawing, this distraction
is a need
that keeps me turning
since I yearn for something
surface day won’t feed
I yearn to move
in the strong current of affection
feel the tide of powerful connection
not to stand alone, to be unmoved
but to be moved in perfect balance
pouring out my care
into the network of our oneness
feeling the reverberation running back
filling in the ocean of my lack.

* From the Lord’s Prayer with Mary Baker Eddy’s spiritual interpretation


©Wendy Mulhern
October 2, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment